Sunday, March 4, 2012

Lucky Blocks {DIY St Pattys Day Decor}

I saw some "lucky" St Patricks Day blocks a long time ago and kept it in mind for a future project. Thanks to my SIL, this project became possible! And I love how they turned out!
For this project you will need: wood blocks, scrapbook paper, paper corner rounder punch, paint, mod podge, brushes, vinyl lettering.
First cut your wood to the desired sizes. We did 6 blocks so that we could make them reversible (other side revealed in near future post!) but you could also do 5 blocks with one wood shamrock cut out.
Then find whatever green scrapbook paper you'd like to use. Thicker is better when working with modge podge. Tip: look for reversible papers which make it easier to color coordinate. Cut to size to match blocks, deciding which order you'd like them in. Punch corners with rounder if desired.
Paint the sides and edges of blocks, the rest will be covered with paper. If you dont do reversible blocks and the backs are blank, I would paint the backs also. I chose to paint them an off-white because I wanted a very light, Springy look. My SIL painted them brown which looked great too. Let dry 15 - 20 minutes.
Apply a very thin coat of mod podge to block faces and let dry 15 - 20 minutes.
Apply another thin coat of mod podge this time to both the blocks and the back sides of the paper, making sure you coat the edges well, working quickly. Apply paper to blocks and rub down, making sure it is smooth, even, and there are no bubbles. I used a popsicle stick for this then went over it again with my fingers, especially for the edges of the paper. Let dry for 15 - 20 minutes.
Apply a thin-ish coat of mod podge to top of blocks, over paper and let dry 15 - 20 minutes.
When completely dry, apply vinyl letters and shamrock. Stand back and admire your finished project!

5 comments:

  1. Where'd you get your pretty paper? Saw you on Delightful Order. The blocks turned out super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky! { great name ;)} My SIL bought them at a place called The Paper Cottage. You can look them up online. I'm sorry we should have kept track before we cut it all up! But the brand is Echo Park on most of the paper. Green houndstooth reverses to green damask, green chevron is green flourish, the yellow chevron stripe (you will see in the next post) is lemon drops small dots. The plaid is a different brand and we dont know the rest. I hope that helps! I would love to see any project you do with the paper. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a great comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get your blocks and what sizes did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey, thanks for asking! They were just cut from a 2x4, and the L and K are 6", U and Y are 5", and C and shamrock are 4". Have a Happy St Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete

{Please do not post any personal information including family names, where I live, etc. And if you are not a registered user, please let me know who you are.} NOW... Tell me what you think!!